If you’re tossing and turning night after night, don’t reach for the sleeping pills – it may be time for a new bed. The following tips on what to shop for are from The Sleep Council’s new bed buyers’ guide:
1. Your bed should be four to six inches longer than the tallest partner.
2. Partners should be able to lie side by side with their arms behind their heads and elbows out, without touching.
3. Buy the mattress and bed together, as sizes aren’t standardized.
4. Lie on the bed for at least ten minutes – don’t be embarrassed!
5. While lying face up, slide your hand into the hollow of your back. If there’s a gap, the bed is too firm. It it’s difficult to slip your hand in, it’s too soft.
6. Look for the blue and white FR label which shows that a bed meets fire safety regulations.
7. Mattress need to be turned regularly; if that’s difficult for you, buy a non-turn mattress.